Thursday, December 24, 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

"Coming to your galaxy this winter"


Finally, the most awaited movie of the year! After months of hype and rumours all over the Internet, I finally got to watch it. As a die-hard Star Wars fan, I couldn't have been more excited and carged up for this instalment. Just so you guys know, Star Wars movies are schdeduled to be released every year now! What a time to be alive!

The Force Awakens is set approximately 30 years after the second Death Star was destroyed by the Rebel Alliance in Return of the Jedi. The galaxy now faces a new threat in the form of Kylo Ren and the First Order. We follow Rey, a scavenger from Jakku, who is joined by Finn, a defector from the First Order, and the cute little BB-8, who takes it upon herself to make sure the Resistance gets hold of a map which will lead to Luke Skywalker, the last of the Jedi Knights.

My whole experience of the film is a blur. I was so excited to be there that at first I walked into the wrong hall. Anyways, The Force Awakens was a great addition, and something worth waiting months for. There is so much to praise in this movie. Let's start with the musical score. John Williams has amazed again. When I heard that he was brought back to work on The Force Awakens, I was so excited. Every new tune was literally music to the ears! The special effects were top-notch, and didn't fail to amaze me. Every laser bolt, lightsaber duel and explosion kept me at the edge of my seat. The new characters of Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo Ren were good additions, though I felt that Poe's character lacked development in certain places. It was like I'd gone back in time when I saw Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 back on screen, though I missed R2-D2's continuous chittering (I won't say any more about that). The actors didn't fail to perform. Harrison Ford made a stunning return as Han Solo, and the only different thing about Han in The Force Awakens was that he had white hair. Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, the new actors, shined brightly throughout the movie. So far, not a single Stormtrooper has been given even an ounce of personality in any of the previous instalments. It is good to see that Stormtroopers are now being seen as actual people, not mindless killing machines as shown previously. Maybe this will open up some pathways for Star Wars spinoff movies about clone troopers and stormtroopers in the future! While the movie was great in all these aspects, I did have a few criticisms. The plot was very similar to that of Episodes 4 & 6. In Episodes 4 and 6, the major part of the plot includes destroying the Death Stars. In The Force Awakens, the plot included destroying Starkiller Base, which was basically another Death Star. Also similar was how Han, Rey and Finn end up at a bar/restaurant to meet someone, just like in Episode 4. Anyways, all in all, the movie was great, and I eagerly await the next!


  • Genres- science fiction, action, adventure
  • Director- JJ Abrams
  • Producers- Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams, Bryan Burk
  • Starring- Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong'o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Max von Sydow
My rating
9/10

Picture from- http://i.imgur.com/mml6T1h.jpg
Video from- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE


2 comments:

  1. Karan, read this if you're up for some criticism.
    I really liked your summary of the setting and plot of the movie in para 2.
    But please read on if you intend to know what can push your reviews up to a professional level.
    1) The easiest one to fix - Please proof read because even if you know what you're talking about, spelling mistakes can make it seem like you don't.So when the reader notices spelling mistakes he loses interest in knowing your review/opinion of the movie.Trust me on this.
    2)The little tit-bits about your movie experience is refreshing and adds a level of personal connection between the reader and the blogger but do not let it take over 3/4th of the review. If you allow me to be a little blunt, the last 5 lines of the review where you talk about the similarities between Episode 4 and 7 was the only thing that was interesting,unique and read worthy in your entire review but you crammed the topic only into 5 lines.
    I believe further analysis of said topic would have been a good decision.
    Put in more effort in that sense and soon you'll be pulling a lot of traffic towards your blog.
    Good luck
    -Abhay Surya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Abhaysurya r for your constructive criticism. I will keep this in mind when review my next movie!

      Delete